The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing.
He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
he refreshes my soul.
He guides me along the right paths
for his name’s sake.
Even though I walk
through the darkest valley,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.
Just who and what is a “shepherd”? Some say your mom and father are shepherds because they take of us as infants and some of us well into our adult years. A husband can be a shepherd to his wife, (that’s my story). Teachers are shepherds to their students, employers to their staff – basically, anyone responsible person who to takes care of another human being can be considered a shepherd. They provide food, clothing and may shelter.
Maslov indicated a hierarchy of needs for humans they are:
1. Biological and Physiological needs – air, food, drink, shelter, warmth, sex, sleep.
2. Safety needs – protection from elements, security, order, law, stability, freedom from fear.
3. Love and belongingness needs – friendship, intimacy, trust and acceptance, receiving and giving affection and love. Affiliating, being part of a group (family, friends, work).
4. Esteem needs – achievement, mastery, independence, status, dominance, prestige, self-respect, respect from others.
5. Self-Actualization needs – realizing personal potential, self-fulfillment, seeking personal growth and peak experiences.
The deficiency needs (the first 4) are said to motivate people when they are unmet. Also, the need to fulfill such needs will become stronger the longer the duration they are denied. This might be why some women will have some interesting behaviors and patterns towards men when we are single. That’s another story you’ll find under #Cinderella when I post it later…
Meanwhile, those needs that Maslov talks about – I find it interesting that all those needs appear to motivated by self. Nowhere does it mention that those 5 needs can be supplied by God, the Lord or Jesus Christ. However, if you look closely at the 5 needs and read Psalm 23 you’ll see clear and plain as day. If that be true this #Valley or #Wilderness I’ve been in these last few months – I must believe that He will fill every valley, and every mountain and hill shall be brought low; and the crooked shall be made straight, and the rough ways shall be made smooth;
Although Satan in his rage would tear thee,
And with all his winning arts would snare thee,
Even down to thine old age I’ll bear thee,
And the high place I’ll bring down.
One more stop on the Journey to Freedom….